background


Monday, April 11, 2011

Travels, April 2011: San Francisco

   And back to blogging I go! I am just got back from San Francisco this afternoon from visiting Paul. He is on his 5-week long trip around Alaska and California running health clinics with his buddy Keith. Our friend Sean Campbell came out over the weekend too and we all had a blast seeing the sights and soaking up the San Francisco sun. I figured I should blog while everything is fresh in my mind...
This shirt was died with actual wine! But it's not true.. I would never sell Paul-at least not for wine ;)

3 amigos (actually 1, Keith is the only one who speaks Spanish)
Besties- at the Pier.

Paul being expressive.


Beautiful Golden Gate Bridge.


Another view of San Fran.

China town.

Me being expressive. I was trying to teach the guys how to appreciate art ;)

Boarding to take a day cruise to the famous Alcatraz Prison.


Yea- it's probably a little insensitive to be smiling in a jail cell...

The Prision.

A view from Alcatraz looking out.
     The trip was really good, but short. Another highlight (which we thankfully didn't photo document) was the 11 mile run on Saturday morning. We ran along the coastline and then all the way across Golden Gate Bridge and back. By 'we' I mean myself, Sean, and Paul. Sean and I ended up walking part of the way back because he had such huge blisters on his feel (TMI- I know). He pretended- err, I mean- was barely able to walk the rest of the day ;). Like a good friend, I stayed with him pushing him to complete the run (but really what other option did he have?). Meanwhile, ultra athletic Paul finishes the entire run! I was a little peeved that I have actually been training and he ran it cold turkey.
   We also had an interesting cab ride where the cabbie took us through a 'short-cut' that actually took FOR-EV-ER and cost like 20 bucks :( He dropped us off in a ghetto area where we ate larger than Chipotle sized burritos at a authentic Mexican restaurant and then all felt very, very sick (I'll spare you the details). 
  I have to take the opportunity to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the Starbucks in San Fran. I mean- they were everywhere! In one part of the city, there are 3 Starbucks within 2 blocks! So we took advantage and Paul and I went to coffee yesterday (Sunday morning) just the two of us, We had a really good time and enjoyed talking about our move to Redding in 2 short months.
  To be honest, Sunday night was a little rough and I was feeling emotional (surprise, surprise) about being apart for 2 more weeks and feeling sick (from my 'burrito incident'). My husband is not perfect (darn near close-jk!), but one thing he does excel at is helping me process my heart and emotions. So we powered through and had a great night. Sean, Keith, Paul and I went and saw a movie that night too. It was a good end to great weekend.
  Finally, I got home around 3 pm and my parents picked me up from the airport. I was feeling sad again and missing Paul. I got home and my dad had stacked the mail on my bed. There on the top was a letter from Paul that he had written almost a week ago and it arrived while I was gone. Talk about perfect timing! I read the letter and put it beside my bed to get me through the last 2 weeks apart. 
   Come home Paul. Come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment