background


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Airplane Schmarplane

   So I've had a pretty crazy week. Yes, I am proving to the world that 'I still got it' by not being one of those moms who falls of the face of the planet once they have a baby and only takes up hobbies such as cleaning, knitting, and pinterest. I spontaneously flew out of Cali Thursday after my father (saint of a man) offered to fly me home last minute for my mom's birthday. Some of the siblings were bemoaning not coming, but I sweetly reminded them all they had to do was push out a 9 lb baby and they too could have been airlifted to Omaha.
   I had AMAZING week. My cousin Laura's wedding was this last weekend which means a ton of extended family was in town that Theo wouldn't have otherwise met. My grandpa and his wife have been here (Theo is my grandpa's 1st great-grandchild!) and my dad's sister and brother-in-law (Uncle Mike and Aunt Julie) who live in Florida and are not in Omaha very often. So it has been super special and even though Theo's little eyes have been dilated countless times by the flash of the camera he is still a great sport!
  I write about the family fest it has been this trip because this is what I had to keep in mind while traveling with my infant child on Thursday. Since becoming a mom I seem to have developed into somewhat of a clean freak. I seriously feel lightheaded when my brother Turner cooks in our kitchen because I'm worried he will get raw meat on some part of the kitchen that I won't (secretly) disinfect once he leaves. The 1st-errr --2nd thing I ask Paul when he walks through the door is if he has washed his hands (he works at hospitals though so you can understand...) I will tell you that being a clean freak is NOT what you want to have happen when your baby child happens to have a blowout at the beginning of a 3 hour flight in which he desecrates his clothes, your pants, and nostrils of all rows within 50 feet of you. Let me just tell you that you do NOT want to be a clean freak when you are FORCED to change his little diapey in the airplane bathroom that stinks to the high heavens with his baby arms and legs flailing around due to being stripped.
  Oh my gosh, it was not fun. I balanced my baby, diaper bag, and sanity all in my lap in the TINIEST airplane bathroom (seriously! why are to sooo small?) I was probably in there a good 20 minutes since I had to strip him and wipe him down (we are talking a full-scale blowout). It took me forever to dig around in my diaper bag one handed while balancing it and Theo on my legs as I sat on the closed toilet seat. Once I was finally done I made my way back to my seat triumphantly because I knew if I could make it through that then my life was pretty much downhill from here ;)

Theo enjoying life in the air...
 

1 comment:

  1. oh no! I never heard this story!

    I hope to not turn into a pinterest-cleaning-knitting mom myself. :)

    ReplyDelete