background


Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day Nonnie!

Happy Mother's Day to a ROCKSTAR mom. Here are some highlight memories of my mom and hopefully anyone who reads this is inspired and encouraged about the role a mother can play in her childrens' lives- I believe it's in the top 5 most impactful jobs on the planet and Terri Schenzel nailed it while we were growing up and gets more and more wonderful with her adult children...


Memory 1: Our 'performances.' As old family videos prove, my sister and I had a knack for putting on some pretty stellar shows... We would dance around the living room for my parents and brothers to the tune of Amy Grant and especially seemed to like her Christmas album. I love how engaged my mom was. In every video you can just sense what a 'present' mom she was (and is) we always felt so 'seen' (which may explain why my marriage works best when I get lots of attention-quality time all the way baby!!)


Memory 2: Reading. My mom is seriously one of the BEST readers... She read to us for hours (some of us more than others- I don't think Turner could sit still for very long). She even did voices for the different characters... we would frequently ask my dad: "ummm...actually.... can mom read this book to us instead???" because he just wasn't quite as animated. I have memories mom getting choked up reading Max Lucado's "The Crippled Lamb." She would also get each of us a special book every Christmas-we loved that (some more than others (refer to above comment about Turner))...


Memory 3: Singing/rocking. We used to have this old creaky rocking chair that my mom spent hours in rocking us and singing the song: "Jesus, Jesus, Jeeeeessssuuuus there's just something about that name... master, saviour, Jesus, like the fragrance after the rain...." I now cry when I'm rocking my own baby and singing that song because it takes me back.

Memory 4: The get-a-way. When I was around 12ish (can't remember exactly) my mom planned a one night hotel get-a-way to give me 'the talk.' She not only made it a super special right of passage, but she had dropped off a gift basket earlier in the day so that it was waiting in our room when we arrived. At first I thought it was a gift basket from the hotel staff (I guess I didn't get out much), but she had specially picked out girlie things that were very meaningful and to this day is one of my favorite gifts I've ever received.

Memory 5: Missions trips. My mom has been on TWO missions trips with me. While I was in high school we went to both Costa Rica and Mozambique... Seriously, what high schooler wants their mom to come on an international trip with them and their friends???- THIS ONE! My mom and I have such special memories because of that- She also went on a trip with my sister to Afghanistan when Annie was in high school...


 Memory 6 :Nonnie. It's so fun that this is my mom's first Mother's Day as Nonnie. Can't believe I'm old enough to be a mother and therefore she is old enough to be a grandmother... the woman doesn't look like a grandma!!!! But honestly, I am SO glad my mom arrived in time for Theo's birth- she literally saw him come into this world (no details) and there is no one else who would have made that day as special as she did.


Mom, You release a piece of glory to this earth by just being who you are and doing what you do best: loving and mothering people. And SERIOUSLY: you need to write a book.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!


No comments:

Post a Comment