background


Wednesday, October 26, 2011

24 Weeks :)

   Today was my 24 week check-up and things are going well. Besides feeling like I have swallowed a melon I am feeling good and relieved to be done with pregnancy sickness. California weather is perfect right now! It is a great time to be pregnant- not too hot (it has been in the 70's all week).
   I feel like I should take this opportunity to share with the world a pregnancy secret. My doctor informed me there is a 'danger zone' (which I am officially in) that is a preggo girl's worst nightmare. He said the Halloween candy, Thanksgiving feasts, and Christmas cookies are none-too-forgiving to pregnancy poundage. Evidentally, the hormones in my body will be hoarding calories to make a nice comfy environment for little Puffin and I will blow up like a balloon. Now seriously, I have been blessed to never have had a weight struggle, but even I am a little concerned. I believe it goes back to my first appointment when Dr. S told me that it wasn't necessary for me to gain more than 25 lbs.-  let me tell you I have had a lot of pregnant friends, relatives, and celebrities who gained well over 25 lbs. People have laughed in my face when I tell them this is my Dr's goal weight for me... As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I read in "People" magazine that some famous Victoria's Secret runway model gained like 70 lbs during her 1st baby.  All that to say, Dr. S has brought up weight at every appointment and it's just kinda funny at this point. I wonder what he will do if I come home from Christmas break in Omaha tipping the scales? He would probably know I was yet another sad victim of the pregnancy 'danger zone.' Whatev- boy Dr's don't get to be condescending since they themselves are never pregnant.
   So it was with the yellow tape of 'danger zone' etched into my mind I decided today would be a good day to hit the gym (after a hiatus of several months). You see, I don't have any plans to resist the Thanksgiving feasts and the Christmas baking my mom does- so the gym seemed like the most logical choice. I am happy to report it was a good night back. It was such a relief to power walk on the treadmill without incident. I may or may not have had to sprint to the gym bathroom and projectile vomit the last time I attempted a workout. Yes, several months ago this happened to me and I didn't even appear pregnant yet which means less understanding and sympathy. Yipes! No wonder it's been so long since my last visit...
  Also, another pregnancy issue has been shooting lower back/pelvic pain that had me waking up Paul last week because I thought my hips were breaking (actually my exact words were "Paul! Wake up! I think I'm dying!"). I seriously was pacing the hotel room (we were in Vermont) and doing deep breathing as if I was in labor. The front desk was nice enough to send the security guard to my room with some pain reliever (Paul was already fast asleep in the 2 minutes it took the guard to deliver the drugs- which is probably because I've overused the phrase "I think I'm dying" and it has lost its effectiveness with him). Luckily, I resisted calling my mom to tell her goodbye because it turns out it's just normal hip pain caused by pregnancy hormones to widen your hips- GREAT- and I'm only half-way done. Good news is that my pelvis has a much lower chance of cracking when compared with my ribs which can actually be broken by aggressive baby kicking. Who would have known?!?!? Can you imagine sustaining a cracked rib due to your baby!?! I hope that this has not caused anyone great pregnancy fear... I am just graciously bringing my readers along for the journey ;)
   So here is 24 weeks :) Baby is growing so fast and kicks me all the time (but not to the point of having a broken rib)!





1 comment: