background


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Memories 4: Dad's 50th Birthday- A Letter

            This is only the second person I have written about in my blog, but my father’s 50th birthday seemed like a good reason to write again.

Dad, where do I begin? I guess I’ll start with you as a father. One of the first memories I have is being around two and grandma had bought me a new outfit. I remember running into your arms and you calling me my nickname: ‘Jelly Bean.’ It’s simple and uncomplicated, but that is why I remember it. It that moment I felt so loved, secure, and safe in your embrace and there was nothing but joy. Those same feelings became a trend throughout the rest of my childhood and that was predominantly because of the love and support of you and Mom.
             I am often struck by how emotional I am. I mean seriously, I have to process. A. LOT. The truth is though; I have been this way since I was a little girl. When I went through my dog training phase you would take me and my Golden Retrievers to class and let me cry after obedience school about how I was discouraged or wasn’t making enough progress or didn’t think I had what it took for the ‘dog show world.’ You listened and processed through ever fear, concern, or query I had of my uncomplicated life. You also spent countless hours ‘tucking in’ Annie and I. Even throughout high school we wanted you to come pray for us before we went to bed. Those prayers would often turn into hour-long talks and conversations. But you always made time. You always said yes.
            The way you love is the reason so many are drawn to you. Dad, you love well. Every person who spends time around you is impacted by you commitment to Mom and us kids. The way you pursues the Lord has created a deep sense of groundedness and security in the family. I believe that because of your integrity all of us kids have a confidence and sense of well being. That’s probably one of the reasons Mom felt safe to follow you into North Omaha and start the Hope Center twelve years ago. You were and still are a trustworthy leader.
            Something I love about you and Mom is that you guys know how to celebrate. You enjoy life and seize every opportunity to live in joy. You love your birthday. You love presents. I think it is amazing you have never lost your zeal for life even when things get hard and work can be discouraging. Your 50th birthday party on Friday was an expression of your contagious appetite for life. No one danced harder on that dance floor than you. As your daughter, I’m so glad that you get to see how many people love and respect you. I think many times people don’t express the depth of their admiration for someone until after that person is no longer on the earth. It makes me happy that you are seeing the fruits of your faithfulness now.
            Dad, thank you for all you have invested in me. You and Mom are even more amazing than most will ever realize. I am so grateful for the way you have been a cheerleader for me my whole life. Paul and I feel it now too. We know that you believe in us, love us, and think we have what it takes. Thank you for your wisdom, counsel, and love.
            Finally, I think your best season of life is still ahead of you. I know that the Lord has many great days in the future. You will only impact more people and develop more gifts as time goes on. I’m so happy you’re my dad and love you so much! Happy 50th Birthday!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Emily, what a beautiful blog post honoring your dad! It brought tears to my eyes. He truly is a great guy. Robert and I feel really blessed knowing him. Every time we see him, we walk away feeling really encouraged.

    ReplyDelete