background


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CLEAN: Completed!!!

   So I realized I need to cap off the end of my detox posts. Clean was finished Sunday night of Jan 23rd. Quite possibly the most joyous and anticipated day of my existence. Ok, well not really, but I was ready to be done!
    Clean was a truly good program. By the end of the third week I felt energetic, healthy, and resumed a normal exercise routine. The third and final week of the cleanse I was a good 6 lbs down from my normal weight. The neat thing is that Dr. Junger says your body adjusts itself on the cleanse and tries to find a state of balance. Therefore, if you need to loose weight you will probably loose more than if you are at a healthy weight and just doing the program for detox purposes. Since I wasn't trying to loose weight, I ate lots of nuts (almonds and pecans) for my snacks and didn't loose substantial weight. I also slept really well at night and felt well rested in the mornings. My appetite was smaller as well.
   The downside: I literally DOVE out of cleansing mode. I ate whatever I wanted in any quantity that I desired. I was so pumped to be able to have dinner, brownies, and white carbs. It was truly like being reunite with a lost love. The truth is though: this is NOT a good idea. All of last week I had a low-grade stomach ache and felt sluggish. My body seemed to be reminding me that it did not appreciate all the toxins I was pouring into it. Many people asked if this defeated the purpose of Clean. For some people it would be counter-productive, but I was doing it more as an experiment in personal discipline. Also, every day on Clean has it's own benefits to my health and are not wasted days. 
   By doing clean I acquired some good habits that I will continue to carry over into my daily life. For instance: SMOOTHIES. So healthy! and because it is blended it delivers nutrients in a fuel-injected way that is easier for the body to digest. Even just having a smoothie for breakfast is a great place to start. Another thing I discovered is AGAVE SYRUP which is healthier than sugars and is added to all the smoothies on Clean as a natural sweetener- very good ingredient to have on hand. QUINOA is another staple. It is similar to rice, but is plant based and a complete protein. I like it as much as rice and eat it with everything. LENTILS are other find. These high fiber babies are delish and easy to eat in soups and pair with anything. WATER is another important discovery. Why? you might ask: because you need to drink a lot! It flushes out the system and is vital for proper body function. I now carry a $7 Target water bottle with me wherever I go to have it on hand.
   So........ am I glad I did Clean? Absolutely. Will I do it next year? I can hope so. Should YOU try it? Yes.

1 comment: